Exciting Tech Internship for a Startup in Zambia (m/f)
Beginn: Mai 2014
Impact Enterprises, a social start-up based in Zambia, is looking for an entrepreneurial, ambitious tech intern to lead internal projects to plan, design, and strengthen client services.
Impact Enterprises is a social outsourcing company that aims to create valuable, digital jobs for Zambian youth. Launched in June 2013 with 6 employees, Impact Enterprises now employs 45 Data Specialists and is poised to expand further. We operate as part of the rapidly growing “impact sourcing” industry, a subsector of the business process outsourcing (BPO) industry that focuses on addressing social issues and employing those from disadvantaged backgrounds.
We are the first outsourcing company in Zambia. Our services include data entry, document digitization, research, tagging, and call center support. See our website: www.impactenterprises.org.
Impact Enterprises is looking for a technology intern to support expansion of technology business services beginning summer 2014. As we expand our service offerings, an intern with computer science and engineering experience will be invaluable to identify and develop tools, skills, and methods necessary for Impact Enterprises to succeed.
The intern will be primarily based in Zambia for up to 3 months, depending on availability, with some tasks able to be done from home. The intern will work directly with the CEO and COO on site in Africa to assist in expanding our services offerings. This is a unique, challenging opportunity that will provide an invaluable experience to work with a start-up technology business in a developing country.
Tasks will change week by week, as the situation is very dynamic on the ground. The chosen intern will be the creative lead in designing and implementing internal tools for operations.
- Research and plan specific tools, methods, and processes for internal operations
- Create and implement custom designed tools, platforms, and UI for client projects, workflow management, client outreach, and reporting
- Support new client outreach through research and contact with incoming leads
- Support existing client projects through training, oversight, and reporting
- At least a B.Sc. in computer science, such as computer engineering, programming, database management, or design
- Preferred skills: HTML/CSS, SQL, PHP/Ruby/Python, C#/Java, Photoshop, UI/UX design
- Passion to work in a tech start-up environment and constantly able to provide valuable input towards the growth of the company
- The intern should be passionate about issues on social entrepreneurship and African development
- Be willing to work abroad in a challenging, self-managed business environment
- Experience working with start-up companies is preferred
These skills will help identify internal process enhancements, for management and client projects. As such, the intern will function as a true entrepreneur to launch new company initiatives.
Unemployment is a startling issue in southern Africa. As a for-profit social enterprise, we focus on hiring youth that demonstrate the most potential to work in a competitive and demanding technology company. Impact Enterprises distinguishes itself in our level of commitment to both our employees and our community. Beyond simply using technology to provide employment opportunities, we are committed to the professional development of our employees. Internal workshops, lectures, and assignments will teach hard job skills and soft personal skills to strengthen the work of the employees during and post-employment with the company.
The intern will be provided with room and board in Chipata, Eastern Province, Zambia. A stipend for living expenses and necessary transportation will be provided. The intern is encouraged to travel in their free time.
The internship can be for up to 6 months, split between Zambia and the home country depending on availability. While the majority of the work must be performed locally in Zambia, certain tasks can be done remotely.
How to apply
Applicants should email their cover letter and CV/resume and any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Impact Enterprises – Tech Internship.” Applicants should clearly explain their interest in working in Zambia with Impact Enterprises, their relevant experience, and skills related to the job description. Additional documents such as school diplomas, exam results, and letters of recommendation are encouraged.