Head of Software Development & Engineering (m/f)
Wikimedia Deutschland e.V.
Frühestmöglicher Eintrittstermin: Februar 2017
Berufserfahrung: Direktor/in (Bereichsleiter, VP, SVP etc.)
Wikimedia Deutschland – Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e. V. is a non-profit organisation based in Berlin, Germany. With more than 85 employees and 50.000 members, it is the oldest and largest of more than 40 independent chapters of the international Wikimedia movement. The most well-known Wikimedia project, the free online encyclopedia Wikipedia, is used by millions of people across the world every day and is continuously updated and improved by millions of users.
The Head of the Software Development and Engineering at Wikimedia Deutschland e.V. supports product managers, engineers and designers who build features, products and services used by hundreds of millions of people around the world. As an experienced and hands-on Manager you enable our communities to achieve our vision: a world in which every single human being can freely share in the sum of all knowledge.
You will join our Software Development & Engineering Department where we work on Wikidata, a collaborative, free licenced database to store the knowledge of the world. We are also developing technical products & features for Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects. You will be supporting teams that work on exciting open source technologies like the Wikidata Query Service.
Our development teams are cross-functional, self-organizing and highly autonomous. They are working directly with the Product Managers and our community.
As Head of Software Development & Engineering, your responsibilities would include
- Ensuring the delivery of innovative products & solutions of the department.
- Strategic development of the department together with all teams.
- Hiring, developing and grow teams and the department together with team leads, with a focus on diversity.
- Taking management responsibilities and ensuring a healthy working and leadership culture.
- Planning, budgeting & controlling for the entire department.
- Ensuring teams do their best work, and are inspired and empowered to do so.
- Ongoing development, iteration & learning with IT-Teams based on clear KPI’s and manage goals & expectations.
- Work closely together with the Wikimedia Foundation management on strategic goals of the Wikimedia Movement.
- Work in partnership with a global open source development community and in a close dialogue with our users.
- Experiment with new technologies, presently & find ideas (written & spoken) in a clear, consistent, organized way.
- Represent the department to internal and external stakeholders.
We would like you to bring these skills
- Quickly adapt to new challenges as needed while maintained a clear mindset.
- Deep understanding of agile methods.
- Highly iterative development (release early, release often).
- BS in Computer Science or other relevant technical field or the equivalent in work experience.
- 7+ years’ leadership experience in the internet industry.
- 5+ years’ experience managing software engineering teams.
- Multiple years of experience working in an agile software development environment.
- Experience managing a geographically distributed software engineering team.
- Experience with open source software development.
- Collaborative working style, interpersonal skills, time management.
- Fluent German & English.
We're offering part-time and remote opportunities. Please send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org, mentioning your earliest date of entry and your salary presentation to our person, Mrs. Natali Bosnjakovic. We’re looking forward to meet you!
Wikimedia Deutschland commits itself to the principles of equal opportunity and does not discriminate on the basis of ethnic origin, nationality, religion, political or other opinion, sex, age, disability or sexual identity or orientation.