Head of Software Engineering (m/f)
Lesson Nine GmbH
Frühestmöglicher Eintrittstermin: Februar 2015
Berufserfahrung: Mit Berufserfahrung
We are looking for a Head of Software Engineering (full-time) to start immediately in our office in Berlin-Kreuzberg, Germany.
With millions of regular users and more than 8000 hours of premium content, Babbel.com is growing fast while shaping the future of learning.
You are an experienced software engineering manager who lives the values of a lean thinking manager-teacher and wants to apply his expertise in the setting of a fast moving product software company.
You are committed to the development of people-not things, the active elimination of impediments and the continous change and evolution of the systems in which knowledge workers operate.
As Head of Software Development, you take responsibility for the overall performance, quality and functionality of the software development organisation delivering our core product to millions of users worldwide on all platforms.
In your role, you will report directly to the VP Engineering. You will collaborate closely with the Head of Product and Head of UX as well as our Agile Coach and ScrumMasters
Roles & Responsibilities
- build and lead a growing team of about 25+ software engineers delivering our core product
- help attract, recruit and retain capable individuals and build high-performing teams
- serve as coach, advisor and career counselor to direct reports
- evaluate performance, provide input, guidance and corrective actions as necessary
- helps establish mission and purpose for teams under supervision and align to business and company goals
- coach improvement of agile technical practices as well as general software engineering practices
- help establish lean standards and tooling for all teams
- manage subcontractors, consultants and external vendors within domain of influence
- work closely with product owners, didactics, customer service, marketing and other departments
- participate in release planning
- help the teams in proactively managing technical debt
- help the teams advance in technical, functional and team skills
- act as a servant leader to the team
- thorough experience as people manager in a software development organisation
- deep experience leading multiple agile (Scrum/Kanban) cross-functional development teams in a fast paced application development environment
- experience in delivering B2C products on web and mobile platforms
- proven track record managing a development organisation
- experience in recruiting, hiring and retaining talent
- experience in individual and team performance management, career development, compensation
- strong negotiation, facilitation and consensus building skills
- experience in various SDLC methodologies
- strong background in agile and lean leadership
- proven experience as a servant leader
- A great product and highly motivated team that wants to push boundaries
- Responsibility from day one and professional and personal growth
- Potential within a fast growing team with long-term prospects
- A lively startup atmosphere with friendly working hours
- A vibrant international team from over 25 different nationalities
- Excellent working conditions with a location in the heart of the Berlin scene
- Great company benefits (High-End company bike, fresh fruits & drinks, Hackathons etc.)