Senior Backend Engineer (Architecture & Maintenance) (m/f)
Lesson Nine GmbH
Frühestmöglicher Eintrittstermin: August 2014
Berufserfahrung: Mit Berufserfahrung
We are looking for a full-time Backend Engineer (Ruby on Rails) to start immediately in our office in Berlin-Kreuzberg, Germany.
With millions of regular users and more than 7000 hours of premium content, Babbel.com is growing fast while we are shaping the future of learning.
Our flexible cloud-based backend infrastructure consists of multiple high-performance rails services serving more than 20.000 requests per minute to users worldwide via different clients (Android, iOS, Web).
You are an experienced backend developer that loves to solve challenging technical problems working together with ambitious collegues in a fast-paced environment.
Your mission will be to shape the architecture of our platform and to enhance its capabilities while keeping a close focus on maintainability and performance and to work actively on reducing technical debt - partly by influencing teams but also taking over larger architecture implementation tasks as well as refactorings yourself.
In this respect, you will work directly with our lead architect in the architecture team as well as in cross-functional scrum teams to achieve these goals.
- Help to drive the technical architecture evolution with our lead architect (influence teams, but also code hands-on yourself)
- Envision and architect new future proof services for our new learning platform
- Maintain and evolve existing services - including refactoring and reduction of technical debt
- Identify and implement innovative solutions and ensure long-term stability and maintainability of our code base
- Ensure code quality and participate in code reviews
- 5+ years experience in software development
- Very good knowledge in Ruby on Rails development, at least 3+ years experience
- Proven experience in at least one other server-side framework (e.g. using node.js, Erlang)
- Proven experience in at least one client-side framework (single-page web application framework, e.g. AngularJS or ember.js; or mobile development for iOS or Android)
- Software development talent proven by great work results/experience, hobby projects or open source contribution
- Passion for building scalable distributed architectures and services using proven software design techniques
- Can do attitude, great team player
- Experience in using cloud services, ideally AWS
- Experience with migration of data to NoSQL databases
- Experience in architecting solutions and agreeing them with stakeholders as well as driving architectural decisions
- Experience in refactoring and methodologies of managing and driving down technical debt
- Experience in testing frameworks and automated regression tests
- OPTIONAL: understanding of lean and agile practices, in particular Scrum and Kanban
- Tackle high volume, scaleable problems with a cloud-based setup and latest cutting-edge technologies
- The potential to change the way of learning for millions of users worldwide
- Responsibility from day one and professional and personal growth
- Potential within a fast growing team
- Participate in hackdays, open-source contributions, technology brown-bags
- A lively startup atmosphere with friendly working hours
- Long-term prospects
- A vibrant international team from over 20 different nationalities
- Excellent working conditions with a location in the heart of the Berlin scene
- Great company benefits (High-End company bike, fresh fruits & drinks, Hackathons etc.)
Please apply via: https://babbel.workable.com/j/0443EF27AD