Backend Engineer (m/f)
- Mit Berufserfahrung
We are looking for a full-time Backend Engineer (Ruby on Rails) to start immediately in our office in Berlin-Kreuzberg, Germany.
With up to 120,000 downloads per day and more than 8,000 hours of language learning content, Babbel is the market leading online-learning app.
Our flexible cloud-based backend infrastructure consists of multiple high-performance rails services serving more than 20.000 requests per minute to users worldwide via different clients (Android, iOS, Web).
You are an experienced backend developer that loves to solve challenging technical problems working together with ambitious colleagues in a fast-paced environment.
Your mission will be to help shape the architecture of our payment system and to enhance its capabilities while keeping a close focus on maintainability and performance and to work actively on reducing technical debt - partly by influencing teams but also by taking over larger implementation tasks as well as refactorings yourself.
In this respect, you will work with our lead architect in the architecture team as well as in cross-functional scrum teams to achieve these goals.
- Code hands-on yourself to deliver quality solutions
- Help drive the technical architecture evolution with and our team and lead architect
- Maintain and evolve existing services - including refactoring and reduction of technical debt
- Identify and implement innovative solutions and ensure long-term stability and maintainability of our code base
- Ensure code quality and participate in code reviews
- 5+ years experience in software development
- Very good knowledge in Ruby on Rails development, at least 3+ years of recent experience
- Proven experience in at least one other server-side framework (e.g. using node.js, Erlang)
- Proven experience in at least one client-side framework (single-page web application framework, e.g. AngularJS or ember.js; or mobile development for iOS or Android)
- Software development talent proven by great work results/experience, hobby projects or open source contribution
- Passion for building scalable distributed architectures and services using proven software design techniques
- Can do attitude, great team player
- Experience in using cloud services, ideally AWS
- Experience with migrating data to NoSQL databases
- Experience in architecting solutions and agreeing them with stakeholders as well as driving architectural decisions
- Experience in refactoring and methodologies of managing and driving down technical debt
- Experience in TDD and BDD
- OPTIONAL: understanding of lean and agile practices, in particular Scrum and Kanban
- OPTIONAL: experience with integrating payment service providers, advanced SQL
- Tackle high volume, scaleable problems with a cloud-based setup and latest cutting-edge technologies
- The potential to change the way of learning for millions of users worldwide
- Responsibility from day one and professional and personal growth
- Potential within a fast growing team
- Participate in hackdays, technology brown-bags
- A lively startup atmosphere with friendly working hours
- Long-term prospects
- A vibrant international team from over 20 different nationalities
- Excellent working conditions with a location in the heart of the Berlin scene
- Great company benefits (High-End company bike, fresh fruits & drinks, Hackathons etc.)