Challenge Lab Manager (m/f)
- Mit Berufserfahrung
Challenge Lab Manager
at the DO School gGmbH
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Starting: Nov 2014
One year, full time
The DO School is an innovative international educational organization offering learning experiences that create real global impact. We offer training, mentoring, and education for outstanding emerging social entrepreneurs to kickstart their own ventures all around the world.
The DO Schools main focus is a unique one-year educational program with a groundbreaking operating model that creates both social and business values for program participants as well as business/institutional partners. Such a format allows us to enable talented emerging social entrepreneurs to launch their own innovative and sustainable social ventures while working together with leading organizations to tackle a concrete Challenge that is of relevance to them and society at large. The Challenge is a key part of the DO School learning experience: here the Fellows create impact as they are taught crucial entrepreneurial skills for their own ventures. Consequently, we create double social impact through fostering innovation both within individual ventures and business/institutions. The Program takes place in two phases, the ten-week Incubation Phase on campus and the ten-month Implementation Phase in the Fellows’ home countries. During the Incubation Phase, the Fellows take part in three courses: Challenge Lab, Venture Lab and Media Lab.In the following ten months, the Fellows return to their home countries and kick off their own ventures, learning by doing while being supported through our online curriculum and mentors.
With the DO School we aim to empower motivated emerging social entrepreneurs to follow their visions and bring about social change in their societies. For more information, please visitwww.thedoschool.org.
Job Description - Roles and Responsibilities
The DO School Hamburg campus is looking for an experienced innovation facilitator with entrepreneurial spirit and consulting background, as the “Challenge Lab Manager” in Hamburg to join our dynamic and fast growing team at a fixed one-year basis with possibility of changing into a permanent position (at a later date and upon review).
Alongside two other courses, the Challenge Lab offers knowledge, skills, and tools necessary to successfully solve the Challenge, a hands-on group task posed to each group of DO School Fellows by a leading organization - be it a company, foundation, NGO or governmental body.
The Challenge Lab applies the DO School method across a number of different teaching and facilitation sessions during the ten-week Incubation Phase on campus. It enables the Fellows to create a concrete service, product, or campaign as an answer to the group Challenge and teaches them how to turn an idea into action. Experiences from the Challenge Lab will support the Fellows in successfully starting their own social ventures during the Implementation Phase. Each group of Fellows works on a different Challenge in topic areas such as sustainable design, peace building or arts & culture related topics.
As the Challenge Lab Manager, working with the Fellows and the key stakeholders from both profit and non-profit sectors, you will be playing a crucial role for the success of creating the innovative solution for the given Challenge.
Supported by the Program Head, you will be responsible for successfully driving the process towards an outstanding and innovative result for the Challenge by delivering the curriculum using the DO School method and supporting a Fellow group in productively working towards a high quality Challenge output. This means guiding the 20 Fellows for the 10 weeks of the Challenge through phases of ideation, selection, planning and implementation, ensuring that the uniquely diverse group delivers an innovative Challenge solution while receiving an inspiring hands-on learning experience.
The role covers the following key aspects
- Overall responsibility to deliver the Challenge Lab curriculum for three groups with up to 20 students each per year
- Preparation: Supporting the Head of Program in developing the curriculum for the specific Challenge by defining areas of expertise needed to cover as well as searching for and contacting key figures within those fields to recruit them as experts
Delivering the Challenge Lab Curriculum. This includes
- Facilitation of group workshops (with and without expert involvement) in all relevant areas along the process of solving the Challenge
- Teaching the DO School method
- Conducting quality assurance and risk management
- Updating key stakeholders, providing timely reporting
- Conducting evaluation, development and continuous improvement of the Challenge Lab curriculum
- Responsibility for the organization and representation of the DO School at Challenge related public events
We are looking for an enthusiastic individual and skilled innovation facilitator with a minimum of 5 years consulting or design development experience, ideally in an international environment. The ideal candidate is entrepreneurial and goal-oriented and has deep understanding and knowledge of innovation and associated challenges along the journey. Applicants should present a proven ability to quickly familiarize with new contents and methods, and show an active interest in working with people from a variety of social, economic and cultural backgrounds.
Required Skills and Experience
- Minimum Bachelor degree
- Fluent in English and German (Oral and Written)
- Minimum 5 years of consulting experience and innovation facilitation experience within an international environment
- Deep understanding of innovation and guiding innovation processes
- Significant experience in facilitating and managing large multi-cultural groups
- Strong organization and communication skills
- Strong stakeholder management skills
- Experience in using a variety of project management and group facilitation techniques
- Ability to work in a dynamic and fast moving team
Desirable to have
- Teaching/training experience with young people
- Knowledge and experience in the field of social entrepreneurship and education
- Experience in facilitating innovation and product development
What we offer
- An innovative and globally connected institution
- An entrepreneurial, creative and international team
- An environment in which learning, taking responsibility and self development are encouraged
- Flat hierarchies and the opportunity to show initiative
- Professionalism in a fun environment with our dynamic team
We look forward to your application to become part of our committed, energetic and international DO School team! Please send your application (motivation letter, CV, expected salary, how you found the vacancy, and a letter of reference or the contact details of 2 referees) as pdf to us via email. You find the email adress clicking on the green button "Kontaktinformation anzeigen".
Please note that we mainly accept applicants who have the right to work in Germany. Only in the exceptional situation, we would consider sponsoring the work permit.
Deadline for applications is October 13th, 2014
Equal Opportunity Employer
The DO School provides equal employment opportunities to all people, without discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, creed, national origin, marital status, disability or sexual orientation.