- Mit Berufserfahrung
CoV Management GmbH manages two early stage Venture Capital funds with a total volume of €250m under the brand name “CommerzVentures”. The CommerzVentures funds invest in early and growth stage companies in the areas of financial services and insurance (and related technologies) across Europe, Israel and the US.
The first fund (€100m, launched in 2014, 14 investments) has established CommerzVentures as a successful specialist fintech investor and has had significant realizations. The firm is now beginning to invest a second fund of €150m.
The Associate will be actively involved in supporting the firm’s partners and senior investment managers throughout the investment lifecycle, from sourcing, evaluation, portfolio management, to exit. This position is a great opportunity to experience a very steep learning curve in a highly dynamic and innovative environment. The candidate should expect this to be a 2-3 year commitment, after which we expect the candidate to continue her/his professional development outside of CommerzVentures.
The Associate’s key responsibilities will include
- Market analysis: perform rigorous market research to identify potential investment opportunities. Narrow down that funnel by assessing market potential, business models, competitive dynamics, customer traction, and management teams. Identify emerging industry trends and technologies.
- Investment analysis: develop detailed financial and operating models for target companies. Create scenario and returns analysis to support investment decision-making.
- Deal diligence and documentation: support deal due diligence, including coordination with legal and financial counsels, interviewing users or potential customers, and testing products and services. Draft investment memoranda and business plans to support the investment process.
- Portfolio management: support the partners and portfolio companies on various strategic and operational tasks.
- Deal funnel management: maintain the funds deal database and track opportunities.
The candidate will have 2 to 4 years of experience (pre-MBA) in a highly professional work environment: be it an investment bank or a top-tier consulting firm.
Specific skills and characteristics
- Analytical capacity: high intellectual acumen and an ability to articulate in a clear and structured manner. A strong analytical and financial background.
- Ability to dissect financial information and excellent financial modelling skills.
- Skilled in assessing markets and companies.
- Personality: passionate about entrepreneurship and innovation in financial services and technology. Performance driven, outgoing, curious, good listener, team player, well organized, high-bandwidth, self initiative. High integrity.
- Strong awareness of technology trends, especially in the financial services and/or insurance space.
- International experience and working proficiency in German are a must (that said, we conduct most of our business in English).
- Excellent English writing skills.
- A technology background would be a plus.
What we offer
- Being an integral part of a very small and highly enthusiastic team.
- Experience an exciting environment with exposure to great companies and entrepreneurs.
- An opportunity to learn how a venture capital firm operates.
- An environment where everybody is accountable and everyone strives to do the right thing and make fast, efficient and well-informed decisions.
- An opportunity to interact with executives at the most senior levels.
- Some international travel would be expected.