Director of Buying (m/f)
- Direktor/in (Bereichsleiter, VP, SVP etc.)
Director of Buying / Buying Director
We are seeking a deeply analytic, style-engaged, and process-driven Buying Director to head up all European buying activities for Joss & Main. Joss & Main is a division of Wayfair (NYSE:W) and a key part of our European expansion overall. We have seen very strong growth, launching three markets in Europe in less than a year, continuously ramping our operations.
The Buying Director is a key player in the overall European leadership team and has full responsibility for revenues and topline growth for Joss & Main, leading a team of 30+ Buyers and Senior Buying Managers. The ideal candidate has several years of relevant experience and a proven track record in high-profile, high-pace industries such as e-commerce, technology, consulting, or finance. This is an excellent opportunity for an entrepreneurial, focused, and ambitious professional who has a passion for home goods & décor and is interested in joining a high growth opportunity as a business leader. The candidate will report directly to the Head of International.
We ideally look for a candidate with a proven track record in high-profile, high-pace industries such as e-commerce, tech, consulting or finance and several years of relevant experience, best in e-commerce or operationally intense internet startups, demonstrating below skills:
- Set vision, direction and strategy for Joss & Main business
- Innovate concepts, evolve target metrics, and shape event strategy
- Source new suppliers across all Europe and globally
- Oversee the creation and curation of all promotions
- Full responsibility for revenues and topline growth
- Collaborate with key cross-functional senior stakeholders
- Lead process improvement discussions across the organization
- Train, develop, and mentor team in private sale best practices
- Maintain industry expertise; keep abreast of trends and new product ideas
- Ability to define a rolling agenda for one or several years based on the company's agenda (e.g., ability to define a complex activity set maximizing the team's contribution to the company's bottom line growth, such as setting vision, direction and strategy for the business. Innovate concepts, evolve target metrics, refine calendar planning, shape event strategy and ensure event quality is leading edge versus competitors
- Ability to hire, train and retain a team of 50+ employees across seniority levels (from graduates to proven leaders with 10years experience), building a strong followership
- A charming, calm and equally decisive and high energy nature who can vary its intensity with the task, team and situation at hand
- Understanding of the leader's and the company's situation and an ability to shape her own priorities to maximize her team's contribution given this situation. Ability to communicate all relevant issues to leadership in an open, non-defensive manner
- Low-ego, no-attitude, humble approach to leadership
- Observation-based, non-judgmental communication style
- Ability to synthesize complex issues and express these via clear, answer-first communication
Entrepreneurship & Execution
- Take controlled risks. Move forward. Build something, don't just optimize it.
- Ability to keep a multitude of balls in the air: Remain calm and on top of an ever changing inflow of projects, issues, initiatives. Remain in the driver seat vs firefighting. Ensure spotless execution across a multitude of projects, shifting between very detailed involvement and high-level steering.
- Go the extra mile - This is a critical leadership role in a very high-growth company. This is an intense role in all respects - accountability, breadth of responsibilities, team size, topline growth, travel - and the commitment needed to succeed mirrors this intensity
- Deadline driven approach to management and execution. We work on a tight timeline and have aggressive plans that require urgency
Sales & Negotiation
- Strong talent and track record for convincing people of all seniority (sales manager to CEO) to collaborate and optimize the respective business terms
Process & Analytics
- Strong and advanced command of defining and executing analyses to drive insights and decisions
- Ability to understand, map and optimize a complex, multi-handover multi-stakeholder process down to the highest degree of detail in very short time
- Ability to implement new processes, achieve adoption, generate feedback, iterate and improve in very fast intervals
Visual Merchandising & Interior Design Affinity
- Eagerness and interest to design interiors. Passion for the furniture industry (production and retail)
- Talent for visual merchandising (from creating a retail storefront display to arranging items in a visually appealing way for different customer groups)
Compensation is highly competitive, with the opportunity to participate in the company's future success via equity awards in line with the large scope of this role.
Wayfair (NYSE: W) offers an extensive selection of home furnishings and décor across all styles and price points. With an unparalleled selection of more than seven million home items from 7,000 suppliers,
We´re happy to hear from you! Work with us! Please apply in English via our recruitment system Jobvite and have your CV and a motivation letter (or however you want to express you´re the right candidate) ready and use this link:
Wayfair helps people find the perfect product at the right price. Our unparalleled selection and superior customer service coupled with the convenience of online shopping, makes it easier than ever before to find exactly what you want for your home. The Wayfair family of brands includes
- Wayfair.com, an online destination for all things home
- Joss & Main, an online flash sales site offering inspiring home design daily
- AllModern, a go-to online source for modern design
- DwellStudio, a design house for fashion-forward modern furnishings
- Birch Lane, a collection of classic furnishings and timeless home décor
Wayfair is headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts, and employs 2,000 people across its eight global locations of Boston, New York, Ogden, Utah, Hebron, Kentucky, Galway, Ireland, London, Berlin and Sydney. The company has previously been named one of America’s Most Promising Companies by Forbes Magazine and selected by the Boston Business Journal and Glassdoor.com as a Top Company to Work For and Top Company for Well Balanced Life.