Senior Backend Engineer (Architecture) (m/f)
- Manager/in ohne Personalverantwortung
We are looking for a full-time backend Engineer (Ruby on Rails) to start immediately in our office in Berlin-Kreuzberg, Germany.
With up to 120,000 downloads per day and more than 8,000 hours of language learning content, Babbel is the market leading online-learning app.
Our flexible cloud-based backend infrastructure Consists of multiple high-performance rails services serving more than 20,000 requests per minute to worldwide users via different clients (Android, iOS, Web).
We are moving towards a Microservice architecture running on AWS and relying heavily on automated infrastructure provisioning (terraform or similar), Setup (chef, opsworks) and monitoring.
You are an experienced developer backend thatloves to solve challenging technical problems working together with ambitious collegues in a fast-paced environment.
Your mission will be to shape the architecture of our platform and to enhance its capabilities while keeping a close focus on maintainability and performance and to work Actively on reducing technical debt - partly by influencing teams but THUS taking over larger architecture implementation tasks as well as refactorings yourself.
In this respect, you will work with our Directly lead architect in the architecture team as well as in cross-functional teams to achieve goals scrum thesis.
- Help to drive the technical architecture evolution with our lead architect (Influence teams, so code but hands-on yourself)
- Envision and architect new futureproof Core Services for our new Learning Platform
- Guide the maintenance and evolution of existing services - Including refactoring and reduction of technical debt
- Identify and implement innovative solutions and Ensure Long-Term Stability and maintainability of our codebase
- Ensure Code Quality and participate in code reviews
- 5+ years experience in software development
- Very good knowledge in Ruby on Rails development, at least 3+ years experience
- Proven experience in at least one other server-side framework (eg using Node.js, Erlang, Go)
- Proven experience in at least one client-side framework (single-page web application framework, EC angularjs, ember.js or react.js; or mobile development for iOS or Android)
- Software Development talent proven by great work results / experience, hobby projects or open source contribution
- Passion for building scalable distributed architectures and services using proven software design techniques
- Can do attitude, great team player
- Experience in using AWS for building complex applications
- Experience with migration of data to NoSQL databases
- Experience in architecting solutions and agreeing with them as well as stakeholders driving architectural decisions
- Experience in refactoring and methodologies of managing and driving down technical debt
- Experience in testing frameworks and automated regression tests
- OPTIONAL: understanding of lean and agile practices in Scrum and Kanban Particular
- Tackle high volume, scaleable problem with a cloud-based setup and latest cutting-edge technologies
- The potential to change the way of learning for millions of users worldwide
- Responsibility from day one and professional and personal growth
- Potential within a fast growing team
- Participate in hack days, technology brown-bags
- A lively startup atmosphere with friendly working hours
- Long-term prospects
- A vibrant international team from over 20 different nationalities
- Excellent working conditions with a location in the heart of the Berlin scene
- Great company benefits (high-end bike company, fresh fruits & drinks, Hackathon, onsite language courses etc.)