Managing Director (m/f/d)
We Scale Startups
We are the world’s most global, connected and technological open innovation hub operating in 10 countries Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Germany, Mexico, Peru, Spain, the United Kingdom and Venezuela. Wayra connects Telefónica and technological disruptors around the world. As their preferred strategic partner, it will scale them up to accelerate both businesses. Wayra is the instrument of transformation, of Telefónica focusing on core technologies such as IoT, advanced data analytics and artificial intelligence.
Telefónica is the largest mobile operator by customer numbers. And we have been among the best employers for several years. Telefónica Germany is part of the Spanish telecommunications company Telefónica S.A. headquartered in Madrid. With a total of 130,000 motivated employees in 21 countries, we are shaping the digital world of tomorrow. Our vision is OnLife Telco. Through us, people can use the benefits of digitization anytime and anywhere. We accompany our customers in their digital lifestyle and develop innovative products and services. In this way, we are driving forward the digital transformation of society. Join us on this journey and shape the digital world together with us.
The main objective of this function is to present Wayra internally and externally in interest of Telefónica Gemany GmbH & Co. OHG. On top of that, helping the start-up's scale on the market. To develop their business and to support their implementation with the network and knowledge of the Telefónica Group in a valuable way. In addition, this role has the goal of maximizing the portfolio of investments. This is intended to increase the value of the Wayra within the group.
- To plan, execute and lead Wayra operations in Germany. This includes scouting, screening, selection, investment and nurturing of tech startups, helping these start ups implement and accelerate the execution of their plans to contribute to Telefónica Germany with innovative and differential products.
- To maximize the investment portfolio value.
- To actively position Wayra as a tool effectively transforming the culture in Telefónica Germany, and position Telefónica Germany as an innovative leading digital company.
- To identify, select and invest in high quality tech startups in collaboration with Telefónica Germany.
- To manage proactively the portfolio of invested companies, elevating the potential of portfolio companies via the global network and 350 million of clients.
- To plan and coordinate Wayra Germany and its operations, assigning resources to effectively and efficiently fulfill mandated targets and objectives.
- To support Telefónica Germany appointed Sponsors in their role of providing guidance to Wayra companies and linkage to Telefónica Germany business.
- To collaborate strongly with related units in Telefónica Germany / Group, other Wayra Hubs and the innovation funds.
- To establish strategic relationships and alliances with relevant stakeholders (techaffine financial institutions, universities, venture capitalists, organizations linked with entrepreneurship and startup ecosystem in Germany).
- Long term experience & knowledge as an entrepreneur and in the entrepreneurial ecosystem and VC industry in Germany and Europe, including a personal network of contacts with relevant stakeholders in this ecosystem.
- Experience in leading a corporate accelerator, open innovation projects and/or start up selection processes is not a must, but will be an additional advantage.
- Experience in a corporate innovation unit or CVC is of relevance.
- The candidate shall have a sound business and technology background and expertise, providing the required understanding to manage the portfolio and take/assess any decisions required.
- The candidate shall be a strong communicator, able to (1) inspire entrepreneurs in Wayra Germany (2) manage relations with Telefónica Germany Sponsors and Clevel executives (3) engage with the external communications of relevant stakeholders (universities, technology companies, financial institutions, media & press, etc).
- The candidate shall have strong analytic capabilities, high negotiation skills and strategic vision.
- German speaker with nativelike fluency in English.
- Spanish is an advantage
- Degree education essential; MBA or equivalent will be considered an advantage